Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Permission requested to merge branch comment-cache into master.
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 14:06:52 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 03:23:45PM +0200, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 03/12/2016 02:28 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > Could I merge branch comment-cache into master, please?

> I'm not John, but I wish we didn't hurry so much to merge experimental
> branches into master. The curly quotes feature comes to mind, and how it
> ended up very hard to back out of.

This feature would be easier to remove: changes in 6 C files and some
(two or three) .texi files (not yet done).

> > An alternative approach using the syntax-ppss cache has been discussed
> > and tried.  For reasons currently being discussed in bug #22983:
> > (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) and the emacs-devel thread "Problems
> > with syntax-ppss: Was [... Apply `comment-depth' text properties when
> > calling `back_comment'.]", this approach cannot work.

> This seems like a misrepresentation of the discussion in #22983. If
> anything, I'd expect the reverse conclusion: it's quite possible to make
> syntax-ppss stricter, and then base comments-cache on it.

It would require a new function similar to syntax-ppss, but with a
different specification.  There are some other issues regarding
syntax-ppss being used in back_comment, too.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).