Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 08:15:41 -0400

The Emacs cursor commands are not "advanced".  On the contrary, they
are very basic.  However, they are not absolutely necessary to learn.

  > If arrows keys work out of the box then C-p/n etc. should be
  > in a section called advanced cursor control or something like
  > that and it should be moved somewhere to the end.

That would encourage people not to learn them, and then their
Emacs editing would be permanently slower.

We want people to skip these commands rather than give up on Emacs.
We do not want people to skip these commands merely because they
are in a hurry.

--
Dr Richard Stallman