Re: Syntax tables for multiple modes [was: bug#22983: syntax-ppss return

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Syntax tables for multiple modes [was: bug#22983: syntax-ppss returns wrong result.]
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 22:07:01 -0400

> Of course the indentation context data structure should be mode specific and
> modes must be constructing it themselves. But some useful degree of uniformity
> is surely possible. For example FIRST-COLUMN is a very simple one dimensional
> signature.

Yes, it's an attractive idea.  But for example in the case of SMIE we
never compute this context directly, instead we discover it as we parse
the text backward from point.

But I guess we could represent the context as an integer (the position
from which to parse backward).

Still, in the ERB case we'd need to mix the HTML context with the Ruby
context, so the representation of the context can't be "internal to the
major mode".

        Stefan