recent change to nsterm.m: four pixels where the Dock is hidden

From: David Reitter
Subject: recent change to nsterm.m: four pixels where the Dock is hidden
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 22:59:39 -0400

Anders,

I appreciate your work on the NS/OSX port.
Reviewing a recent change, I can’t help but wonder:  Do we really need 50 lines
of a hack to counteract design decisions made at the system level?

If [NSScreen visibleFrame] tells us not to occupy certain space on the screen -
four pixels where the Dock is hidden - then that’s a standard that all
applications should adhere to.  It’s probably done for a reason (such as being
able to un-hide the Dock and to grab the lower horizontal edge of the window
for resizing).

ns_screen_margins_ignoring_hidden_dock is, excuse my bluntness, ugly as it
hardcodes some numbers that can change any time with a new OS version. It’s a
burden for future maintenance.

If this is what #22988 really was about, then it’s not a bug and we shouldn’t
mess with it.  Also not in 25.1.

If I’m wrong, please excuse me.  Could you explain if there is some deeper
reasoning that I’m missing?

Thanks,
David