Re: Missing changes in merges from emacs-25 to master

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Missing changes in merges from emacs-25 to master
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 12:42:59 -0700

On 03/25/2016 10:33 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
So I guess the fact that a commit was skipped during a merge is
something that is so hard to see that perhaps the entire issue of
skipping is moot with Git, and we shouldn't be bothered by it.

I think that's basically it, yes. I agree that 'git blame' should be blaming the mainline commit rather than the skipped backported commit. I don't know why it's blaming the skipped commit. On the other hand, this is consistent with the philosophy of not caring about how beautiful the shape of the history is, so long as each commit is accurate.