Re: Thinking about changed buffers

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Thinking about changed buffers
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 20:00:30 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> You cannot just look at the decoded contents.  If the coding system is
> changed the encoded contents will change even if the buffer contents
> didn't.

I don't think that's correct.  Loading a file does (basically)

1) put the bytes from the file into memory
2) decode them into internal representation
3) (set-buffer-modified-p nil)

It's from that point on we care whether the contents of the buffer has
changed, not from when we loaded the bytes from the file into memory.
So the coding system is irrelevant.

Or do you mean if the user explicitly changes the coding system... in
the buffer?  How does that happen?