Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 3eb93c0: Rely on conservative stack scanning

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 3eb93c0: Rely on conservative stack scanning to find "emacs_value"s
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 17:13:17 -0400

>> It's not clear that this feature is worth the hassle of supporting it.
> If emacs_value* were a real pointer, then the feature would come for free.

We have 30 years of experience with Lisp_Object.
It works well and is efficient.

The other scheme originally implemented was terribly inefficient (just
like the still present signal-emasculating scheme) and with no
experience to show for it.

If you want a "emacs_value_pointer" abstraction, you can layer it on top
of the current API.  The reverse is not true.

        Stefan