Re: Should minibuffer prompt be made intangible by default? (Was debbugs

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Should minibuffer prompt be made intangible by default? (Was debbugs 21874: 25.0.50; point-entered no longer works)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 10:58:39 -0400

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 8:38 AM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>       ;; (car (cdr (car (get ..)))) -> (read-only t face minibuffer-prompt)
            ^^^^^^^^
This "car(cdr" should be spelled "eval" (there's no guarantee that the
arg has always the shape (quote ...something..)).

Thank you. That looks much saner too :)

>   (custom-set-variables '(minibuffer-prompt-properties

Don't do that.  There should only ever be one call to
custom-set-variables, auto-written by Custom itself.  As soon as you
move away from that, you're entering dangerous territory.

That was an oversight on my part. I realized the problem practically later on and ended up having what you mentioned below; just that I add cursor-intangible-mode to the hook instead of cursor-sensor-mode.

You should probably use customize-set-variable instead.

Tho I'd personally recommend that if you don't want to use the Custom
UI, then don't use Custom from Elisp either, and just use straight:

    (setq minibuffer-prompt-properties
          (append ... minibuffer-prompt-properties))
    (add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook #'cursor-sensor-mode)

--
Kaushal Modi