Re: "Staying in the same place"

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: "Staying in the same place"
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 21:43:19 +0200

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> And Stefan has pointed out that what you're proposing is essentially
> what bookmark already does.  Maybe that idea of recording a position
> fuzzily should be abstracted out, and then bookmark would use the new
> abstraction too, or maybe this new function should just use bookmark's
> existing code (which, in turn, already hooks into mode-specific code
> in some cases, and could do more of that).

Ah, I didn't know that about bookmarks.  Sounds like all the mechanisms
we need are in place, so we just need to start using them throughout the
various modes.  But perhaps provide easier-to-understand interfaces
like:

> In any case, though, should the new thing be defined as a macro?  That
> seems like the more natural way, at least IMHO.  Something like:
>
> (defmacro fuzzy-save-excursion (&rest body)
>    record-the-position-fuzzily-using-mode-specific-code
>    run-the-body
>    restore-the-fuzzily-recorded-position
> )

Yes, I think having a macro for this would be very handy and encourage
usage of this stuff.  However, the restore-the-fuzzily-recorded-position
thing should also be available in a handy fashion for when we're doing
asynchronous fuzzy point restoration (with diff mode and compilation
mode, for instance).