Re: Docstrings and manuals

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Docstrings and manuals
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 10:59:56 +0300

On 04/19/2016 03:25 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:

Since the return value is documented in the manual, it is something
we would not change without a good reason.  However, that doesn't mean
it needs to be stated in the doc string.

That sounds silly to me. At the very least, not mentioning a behavior in the docstring makes it easier to violate.

Docstrings are changes together with the code, but we allow deferring manual updates.