Re: Terminology question

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Terminology question
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 21:58:15 -0400

  > I cannot find a clear definition of "form", "expression", "symbolic
expression", "sexp" and whether the terms are equivalent or not.

I think "form" and "expression" are synonymous; both mean a Lisp object
meant for evaluatoin.

"Sexp" generally refers to text rather than Lisp objets as such.  It
means the textual representation of one object (including nested
objects).

  > In chapter 9.1 there is "A Lisp object that is intended for
  > evaluation is called a form or expression[4]." It is not clear
  > what a Lisp obect not intended for evaluation is.

I don't understand that question.  Every Lisp object is either
intended for evaluation or not.  If it is intended for evaluation,
it is an expression (form).

It would be good to go through the manual to make this consistent and
clear.

--
Dr Richard Stallman