url-dav and Radicale

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: url-dav and Radicale
Date: Sun, 01 May 2016 17:10:12 +0800

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with Emacs' webdav implementation when trying to
talk to a Radicale[1] card/caldav server. I'm not the only one: I bumped
into this issue when using the org-caldav package, and found that
someone else had opened a github issue about this[2] (I'm the only other
poster there).

In a nutshell, Emacs' url-dav.el library, when parsing responses from a
DAV server, assumes XML node names that are all prefixed with "DAV:".
Ie, "DAV:multistatus". Radicale, on the other hand, just sends back
"multistatus", and everything blows up. The "DAV:" prefix is very much
hard-coded into url-dav.el.

It's pretty darn difficult to figure out what's supposed to happen here,
but the RFC (inasmuch as RFCs are human-parseable) appears to want the
DAV: prefix[3]. On the other hand, all other DAV-compatible software
appears to work just fine with Radicale.

Both Radicale and Emacs have working bug trackers, but only Emacs seems
to have a functioning mailing list, so I'm posting here first! If anyone
has any insight into this issue, please let me know. Otherwise I'll open
a github issue on Radicale.

Thanks,
Eric

[1]: http://radicale.org/