Re: Async DNS for OSX

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Async DNS for OSX
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 12:46:21 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> If the Gnulib module supports just the part of getaddrinfo_a that
> Emacs needs, that should be good enough. Lots of Gnulib modules
> implement only the "important" parts of the portable interface, where
> "important" means "needed by GNU apps that use Gnulib", a definition
> that can change with time as usage grows.

Cool.

> If all this is too much trouble, then just patching Emacs is OK
> too. We can worry about libraryizing a getaddrinfo_a substitute later.

My guess is that it would be easier for people to implement a partial
getaddrinfo_a in a Gnulib context than to implement async DNS in an
Emacs context.  I think.  Does Gnulib have getaddrinfo_a scaffolding
done?  (I'm assuming there must be something of the kind per function it
implements.)  Perhaps if that were in place (and included in Emacs),
then it would be even simpler for people to implement the missing OS
X/Windows bits?