Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 13:15:42 -0500

>  > Org Mode, like Emacs, requires a fair amount of investment on the
>  > part of the user before the rewards arrive.  Once the rewards
>  > finally start arriving, the investment becomes worth it -- but
>  > until until then, one makes the effort on faith.
>
>That may be true, but I stand by what I said.
>It is fine to have a structured editing mode, but it was
>bad design to make other facilities depend on it in this way.
>That makes a distortion in the overall design of Emacs.
>
>The other facilities should be separate things, even if they
>can work with the structured editing mode.  Even if they ALWAYS
>use the structured editing mode, they should be separate
>as far as the user is concerned, not "part of" it.

Ah, sorry to make you [sort of] repeat yourself.  Yes, this is a separate point
from the one I was addressing, and may well be true.

In general, I'm not sure how one would start extracting Org Mode features to
make them independent from Org Mode.  I think each feature would have to be
handled on a case-by-case basis, because each of them depends on different
aspects of Org Mode -- though what most of the features have in common is that
they depend at least on the *syntax* of Org Mode files.

Overall, this could be viewed as one of them most massive piles of technical
debt in Emacs.  Gulp.