Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 21:58:28 +0300

On 06/20/2016 08:23 PM, Noam Postavsky wrote:

Alan said 'In CC Mode, all the uses of the syntax-table property are
"local";' and Stefan replied 'AFAICT, this doesn't actually depend on
how the syntax-table property is
applied[...]and indeed this also applies to all other languages I can
think of (and hence all major modes where we use syntax-propertize).'

OK, but...

But since you brought up multline string literals in subsequent
discussion, it's important to note Alan's caveat (the "aside from...")
in his definition of "local":

    a buffer change in an earlier part of the buffer (aside from
    crude syntactic things like inserting unclosed comment/string
    delimiters) cannot affect the properties on the current part of the
    buffer.

...there's no reason to make special consideration for the "crude syntactic things", because they do have the propensity to span the whole buffer when unclosed, and they tend to affect the application of syntax-table property on the "fine" syntactic things inside and outside of them.