Re: C and Emacs Lisp code parts

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: C and Emacs Lisp code parts
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 16:01:11 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Andreas Röhler <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 14:25:22 +0200
>
> On 01.07.2016 11:25, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >
> > So yes, we need numbers to make rational decisions about this.
>
> Sorry, but that's irrational.

??? Comparing without numbers, based on "feelings", is irrational!

It is a well-known fact that reasoning about code optimizations
without measurements is a fallacy that causes optimizations in wrong
places.

> Compare doesn't need numbers. To compare implementations in C an
> exec is needed - which doesn't exist yet. If written, the reason
> basically is gone, because C will be faster - unless something went
> wrong, which is a case for debugging rather than benchmarks.

I'm not against writing it, I'm just saying that before accepting a C
implementation instead of a Lisp one, we should consider the speedup
factor, because rewriting in C has its downsides (which you mentioned)
that have to be weighed against the advantages.