Re: C and Emacs Lisp code parts

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: C and Emacs Lisp code parts
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 21:32:48 -0600

>>>>> "Andreas" == Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> writes:

Andreas> last years parts of C code have been switched into the Lisp
Andreas> area. There are pro and cons, the cons seems to be an easier
Andreas> maintenance, to protect against the lack of skilled C-developers.

Andreas> The backside is a general slowness, not felt in details of such a
Andreas> change, but cumulated.Would liketo see this strategy changed. Rather
Andreas> focus at a fast and small core. Reduce the rate of changes maybe. My
Andreas> preferred Emacs must not provide everything, but be quick and reliable
Andreas> and easy to extend. Emacs Lisp seen as designed for the user-space.

Another approach is to just write Emacs Lisp, and use a compiler to
translate important parts to C.  I've done a lot of this work, but it
needs some love to get to the finish line.

    https://github.com/tromey/el-compilador

I wrote up the result of one very simple benchmark there -- I hacked the
compiler enough to generate compile-able C.

Tom