Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Differences between Org-Mode and Hyperbole
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 18:42:13 +0300

> From: Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 17:32:25 +0200
>

> On 2016-07-06, at 16:27, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> From: Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
> >> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> >> Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2016 21:57:16 +0200

> >> No, it isn't.
> >>
> >> In order to start to use outlining (one feature) you only need to know
> >> how to mark up headlines (bol + stars + space + title) and how to use
> >> TAB to cycle visibility.
> >
> > If I need only outlining, I don't need Org, I can use the Outline
> > mode.  We are talking about features that are in Org and only in Org.
> >
> > Come on, let's be serious in this discussion!
>
> Sorry, Eli, but I can say the same.  Be serious.  As I wrote:
>
> > I covered more than half a dozen extremely useful features
>
> and you commented on _one_ of them.  And mentioning Outline mode in
> a discussion on _ease of use_ as an alternative of Org is kind of
> strange.

It wasn't a discussion on ease of use.  Look back.  It was a
discussion of how much of the mode one needs to learn before one
becomes productive with one feature the mode provides.  You said: next
to none, and gave outlining as the example.  To which I responded that
outlining alone doesn't justify using Org at all, as there are simpler
alternatives.

> Compared to Org, Outline mode is almost unusable wrt visibility
> cycling.  Yes, it has more capabilities, but it also has an order of
> magnitude more commands to remember!

Remembering commands is not an issue when you use a mode frequently
enough, or infrequently enough.