Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 08:43:30 -0400

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 7:29 AM, Phillip Lord <address@hidden> wrote:
> At the moment, we have a poor workflow for supporting this.
>
>  - I can push a branch onto the Emacs git. But, this is not squashable,
>    so the final state before the merge is hard to do
>  - There is no system for queuing pull requests, so sometimes things get
>    forgotten
>  - I can send patches, but this is clunk compared to pushing a branch
>    within version control.
>  - There is no system for viewing feedback about an individual patch.
>  - There is no system for adding inline comments to patches

So maybe we just need some more support in vc-git to make sending
patches less clunky? I've been sending patches to bug threads, and
often getting useful feedback on them (and since it's by email, the
comments can easily be inline). Personally, I don't find it more
clunky than pushing to a branch, and then opening a PR in a web
browser. Yes, some patches are forgotten, but I don't see how a PR
"system" makes that less likely to happen, e.g., cask has a bunch of
open PRs sitting around: https://github.com/cask/cask/pulls.

> Perhaps, as a half way house, we could use the resources that we have.
> PRs could go to the bug reporting system. This will, at least, keep all
> the conversations in one place. If we can tag these with "has patch"
> here as well, it will give an queue also.

I thought that was the current system. Here is the queue:
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs;include=tags%3Apatch;bug-rev=on