Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 09:38:17 -0400

  > GNU ChangeLogs, as used in practice, are so lame and thin on content
  > that they certainly can't be taken seriously as a method of documenting
  > changes.

They are good for their purpose, which is to summarize which functions
or objects were changed, when, and by whom.  That's useful when
you want to see which changes to look at to figure out when a bug
got introduced.

You haven't said what "content" you think is missing, so it is hard
for me to respond further than that.  However, if you're talking about
explanations of the code, those are supposed to go in comments in the
code.

  > GNU ChangeLogs always looked to me as cargo cult and an excuse for not
  > writing proper commit messages.

There was no such thing as a commit message in 1985.

--
Dr Richard Stallman