Re: instead of gnus-cloud.el

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: instead of gnus-cloud.el
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:44:31 +0200

> Thus, I was perturbed to see that a file in Gnus grants legitimacy
> to the term "cloud" by using it.  The name ought to be changed.

The name is humorous -- a parody of the term "cloud computing".

> I was going to suggest another name based on what the file does.
> But I can't figure out what it does.  The only explanation is one
> line at the top of the file, and it doesn't say much.  That is
> bad maintenance.

It's a feature under development, and is not used by anybody, so
documentation of this non-existing feature would be premature.  Up until
very recently we weren't quite sure what it was going to look like, but
it's shaping up now.

It's a mechanism for storing data (in the first implementation, Gnus
data) on your local IMAP server, so that you can access your Emacs
environment from all the machines you use Emacs.