debbugs tracker builds character (was: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: debbugs tracker builds character (was: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 09:28:13 -0400

On Fri, 08 Jul 2016 09:27:55 -0400 Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:

TZ> On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 02:50:31 +0300 Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:

DG> That said, before continuing this discussion, I'd rather we switch to a
DG> modern-ish bug tracker first.

TZ> I'll try using the (painful) bug tracker to do code reviews.

Unsurprisingly, it was not a good experience.

TZ> Please consider me strongly in favor of a better code review system and
TZ> a better bug tracker. Ideally they would be one and the same.

I wish I knew why people find the current bug tracker acceptable. It
reminds me of the old ftpmail/DEC gatekeeper where you sent e-mails
requesting files:

from ftp://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/dec-alpha/dec-docs.txt

"Instructions for using ftpmail to copy files:

    1. Address the mail message to address@hidden

    2. Ignore the subject line.

    3. Include in the first line of the body the word "connect".

    4. Include get commands for each document required.
        (for example: get /pub/DEC/DECinfo/infosheet/decnsr-v2p0.ps)

    5. The body of a typical request might look like:

        connect
        get /pub/DEC/DECinfo/SPD/index
        get /pub/DEC/DECinfo/infosheet/decnsr-v2p0.ps
        get /pub/DEC/DECinfo/brochure/unix-from-digital.txt

    Note that results will be mailed to you later in the day as requests
    are queued up and processed every 30 minutes.  For more timely access,
    consider using anonymous ftp."

That was cool in 1992, yeah... and it certainly builds character.

Ted