Re: Adding streams for standard out and standard err

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Adding streams for standard out and standard err
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 21:13:26 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 19:52:58 +0100
>>
>> (append-to-file (print buffer-undo-list) nil "/dev/stderr")
>>
>> seems clunky compared to:
>>
>> (print buffer-undo-list 'stdout)
>
> Nothing a simple function won't heal, right?
>
> Maybe that's all we need: a small wrapper around append-to-file.

Actually, adding a new stream was your idea...

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2016-06/msg00207.html

I'd never heard of streams in emacs before. I thought it seemed like a
nice idea, so I thought I would give it a go.

Yes, you are probably correct, that append-to-file could be used,
without resorting to new C primitives. However, all the functionality
that we need is already in the C layer. Also append-to-file (or rather
write-region) would need updating to not send messages.

It would also allow fixing this:

(defun append-to-file (start end filename)
  (interactive "r\nFAppend to file: ")
  (prog1 (write-region start end filename t)
    (when save-silently (message nil))))

Append-to-file does not actually save-silently AFAICT, it just hides the
message quickly.

Phil