Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2)
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 21:11:32 +0300

> Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 17:28:04 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
>     This variable holds a list of functions to call before any buffer
>     modification.
>
> I can't see any sensible interpretation of "any ... modification" other
> than "each and every modification".  I've been relying on this for many
> years.

You are forgetting that "buffer modifications" is not rigorously
defined in Emacs.  Let me remind you that in so many places we pretend
that no changes were made to a buffer, while in fact there were.

Given this fact, "any modification" has no meaning, beyond the
tautological "modifications that Emacs developers decided to treat as
such".

IOW, what the code does, and has been doing for many moons, is in this
case a de-facto _definition_ of what should be done.

> Looked at another way, how can it be sensible to call just one of these
> hooks?

I gave one such interpretation.

> Like, if you were redesigning Emacs from scratch, are there any
> categories of buffer modifications in which you would call only
> after-change-functions, and not before-c-f?

But we are not redesigning Emacs.  At this stage, we would be nuts
trying to.  Emacs, at the level of insdel.c, is stable, has been for a
long time.  We should only make there localized changes in response to
localized problems that are revealed at that level.  In the case in
point, the problem is revealed at a much higher level, so solving it
in insdel.c is simply wrong, because that will destabilize Emacs for
years to come.  We cannot afford that, as the "Emacs cloud" is too
large, and the number of people who understand these internals is too
small.

> > My interpretation of these two variables is that they are two hooks
> > provided for different kinds of features, because hooking into both
> > should not generally be required.  It should suffice for an
> > application that wants to react to a change in a buffer to hook into
> > after-change-functions only.
>
> No.  A program (such as CC Mode) reacts to a _change_, not merely to
> what a buffer looks like after a change.  A buffer change loses
> information, so in the general case, any required info needs to be
> recorded by before-change-functions before it gets lost in the change,
> so that it can be used by after-change-functions.

And yet you had no problems until now.  This particular use case is
not about some arbitrary buffer change, it is about replacing the
whole buffer with an updated contents of the file.  We don't need to
consider any other use cases, because we are not aware of problems in
those cases.

> As a concrete example of this, suppose we have this in a buffer:
>
>     #define foo() first line \
>                   second line \
>                 third line \
>                 fourth line
>
> , and the change consists of deleting the backslash on L2.
> before-change-functions will have noted that all four lines are in the
> "active area".  after-change-functions unassisted would merely see that
> the "active area" consists of L1 and L2.  The info from before-change
> enables after-change to operate on the entire four lines.

You could simply discard the information for all the 4 lines, and be
done.  It is more important to be correct than to be optimal.

But anyway, I believe the case in point has nothing to do with this
example.  Right?

> > But even if I agree, for the sake of argument, with your
> > interpretation, let's put this issue into a proper perspective, okay?
> > We have a single major mode (albeit a very important one, one that I
> > use every day) that under very specific conditions apparently fails to
> > discard its caches, ....
>
> Being precise, two critical variables were dirty store from the previous
> invocation of c-after-change, not having been set in the missing call to
> before-change-functions.

I still don't understand why you couldn't clear all such variables in
this case.  The entire buffer text has been replaced, why keep
anything you had before?

> > .... because its design assumed calls to these two hooks will always
> > be balanced.  As a solution, you are proposing a change in a very
> > low-level and delicate part of Emacs, which means significant changes
> > to code that was basically unchanged for more than 20, if not 30
> > years.
>
> prepare_to_modify buffer has been modified lots of times in recent
> years.  (I count six modifications since 2014-01.)

I said "basically unchanged".  Trivial refactoring doesn't count.  And
any changes in this function were in response to issues common to all
the callers.  The case in point isn't such a case.

> > This code is involved in almost every operation on buffer
> > text, and so changes you propose will necessarily cause ripples all
> > over Emacs.  Just look what the code you propose to change does:
>
> >   . call barf-if-buffer-read-only
> >   . set the buffer's redisplay flag
> >   . affect the undo recording
> >   . save the region when select-active-regions is non-nil
> >   . sets deactivate-mark non-nil
>
> I'm not proposing to change any of that at all.  What I'm proposing is
> strictly limited, and could be accompished in two steps, as follows:
>
> 1. (Pure refactoring).  Remove the call to signal_before_change from
> prepare_to_modify_buffer.  Insert an explicit call to s_b_c after each
> invocation of p_t_m_b.  Restore the check on inhibit_modification_hooks
> in s_b_c.
>
> 2. Where a call to signal_buffer_change is within an "if (prepare) ..."
> construct, move it to after that construct, so that
>
>     if (prepare)
>       {
>         prepare_to_modify_buffer (...);
>       signal_after_change (...);
>       }
>
> would become
>
>     if (prepare)
>       prepare_to_modify_buffer (...);
>     signal_after_change (...);

See, that's the part that scares me.  You are proposing to run code
where we didn't run it before.  Did you look at what
signal_after_change does?  It doesn't just call
after-change-functions, it does much more.

> > Can you imagine how much Lisp code and basic features will be affected
> > by calling this where we never did before?  All that for the benefit
> > of a single major mode that fails in a single, albeit important use
> > case?
>
> > I'm sorry, but that makes very little sense to me.
>
> Please reconsider carefully the concrete proposal I've made (above) and
> judge whether it will really affect very much at all.

Your proposal doesn't take care of my fears.

> I can foresee that nothing will happen except the desired
> invocations of before-change-functions being made.

We will have to agree to disagree about this.

> I'm not entirely sure that only CC Mode will be helped here.  The value
> of before-change-functions in many major modes contains the function
> syntax-ppss-flush-cache.  There is a good chance that some call of, say,
> del_range_byte is going to leave the syntax-ppss cache stale and
> invalid, a difficult situation to diagnose.

I would have to see very specific evidence to that, not just
theoretical possibilities.  And even then, the proposed change touches
much more than just before-change-functions.

> > What does it do in each one of them, in the specific use case reported
> > in the named bugs?
>
> It should calculate the two variables c-new-BEG and c-new-END (which
> bound the active region) in c-before-change, and these get modified in
> c-after-change.

Sorry, I don't understand.  Why can't you compute these two values in
the c-after-change?  And if you can't, why calling c-before-change
when REPLACE is non-nil didn't fix that?  Once again, we are talking
about reverting the entire buffer, so any intermediate deletions and
insertions aren't important.

> In the bug situation, these variables simply held stale values from
> the previous c-after-change call (which was from transpose-lines).
> Specifically, c-after-change modified c-new-END by subtracting
> old-len.  This happened to make c-new-END < c-new-BEG.  So a
> subsequent re-search-forward invocation had the limit on the wrong
> side of point and threw an error.

Why can't this error be caught and interpreted as a sign that the
cached values are wrong and need to be recomputed?

> > And why isn't it enough to make only the change you proposed in part 1
> > of your report?
>
> I tried that, but it didn't work.  With the help of gdb, it was clear
> that the missing before-change-functions came from an invocation of
> del_range_byte with `prepare' false, rather than directly from
> Finsert_file_contents.

So if that single call is with 'prepare' set to true (when both VISIT
and REPLACE are non-nil), the problem would have been solved?

> > 2) Can this problem be fixed in CC Mode itself, without touching
> > either insert-file-contents or insdel.c functions?
>
> I honestly don't know.  That would require extensive redesign if it's
> possible.  That would need something like creating a new cache to
> hold the information for the entire buffer which is currently determined
> in c-before-change.  A simple workaround would be to ignore (i.e. not
> process) an out of sequence invocation of c-after-change, but that's
> hardly ideal.  I suspect I'm going to have to do that anyway in
> standalone CC Mode.

If you are going to have to do that anyway, why do we have to consider
such low-level changes?

Btw, there's also a possibility for CC Mode to define its own
revert-buffer function.  That function could be a thin wrapper around
revert-buffer, and could do in the wrapping code whatever you think is
missing in insert-file-contents, like forcefully calling
before-change-functions.  That would still be better than messing with
insdel.c, IMO.

> > 3) If the answer to 2) above is a categorical NO (but please provide
> > enough arguments so we could be very sure it is that), then I _might_
> > be convinced to consider changes to insert-file-contents only, and
> > only for the case when both VISIT and REPLACE are non-nil.  That's
> > because I think this combination is only used by revert-buffer and
> > similar functionality (if someone knows about other callers that do
> > this, please holler), ....
>
> The actual operation was C-x C-f where the file was already visited in
> Emacs, but had been modified outside of Emacs, so Finsert_file_contents
> went through the code which attempts to preserve markers, etc.

That's what revert-buffer does, it calls insert-file-contents with
both VISIT and REPLACE non-nil.  And that's the use case we are
talking about, right?

> > .... so the ripples will be not as wide as if we mess with insdel.c.
> > (Still, even this possibility scares the living s**t out of me; it
> > should do that to you as well.)  To this end, please tell which calls
> > to del_range_byte in insert-file-contents are involved with this use
> > case and cause trouble to CC Mode, and maybe we could change only
> > those, in addition to the 'if' clause that guards the call to
> > before-change-functions.
>
> The del_range_byte call which I caught with gdb last night was, I think,
> the one at fileio.c L4037.  I don't know the code well enough to say
> that that's the only one which might trigger.

If changing that one alone solves the problem, we don't need to
consider any others.

Thanks.