Re: emacs-25 d35d398: Update to the AUTHORS file for Bob Weiner

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: emacs-25 d35d398: Update to the AUTHORS file for Bob Weiner
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 11:35:02 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> AUTHORS is a generated file and should not be edited directly.
>
> Any reason we keep it in Git, then?

I was waiting for someone to ask that...

It's not essential to keep it in the repo. However, it is slow to
regenerate (so slow that you would not want to add it to a normal build
target, so removing it from the the repo means most non-tarball installs
would simply not contain any version, which I think would be a shame),
rarely changes (only when a pretest is made), and never causes merge
conflicts (pretests only happen on one branch), and IMO it is nice to
have a version always present. So why not leave it as-is.

PS please try to use reply-to-all, not reply-to-list.