Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 13:13:14 -0400

>> > The documentation should state this exemption, lest users expect
>> > unibyte buffers to get the same treatment.
>> I don't know for a fact that it doesn't work in the unibyte case, actually.
> buffer-file-coding-system will be the local default,

How do you know?  IOW, which scenario are you thinking about?  I tried
find-file on a PDF file and find-file-literally on a non-ascii text file
and in both cases I get a buffer with buffer-file-coding-system set to
`no-conversion'.  And indeed, in my tests, the code I sent just
correctly detects that the file was not changed.

> so a non-ASCII file will be decoded.

Maybe in some cases it may not work, indeed.  My favorite way to fix
those would be to make sure buffer-file-coding-system is set to
something like `binary' when the buffer is unibyte.

        Stefan