Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Don't complain about changed file when it hasn't changed
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 09:29:27 -0700

SM> The patch below is supposed to change Emacs such that if the file's
SM> timestamp has changed, but the contents is still the same, it doesn't
SM> prompt the user about a supersession-threat.

Stefan, what is the performance impact of this change, and how often will that
cost be paid? And don't imagine "modern hardware, lots of memory", imagine
that I'm on an old laptop on a plane, and every erg of CPU power I lose means
time I can't spend coding while in flight.

If Emacs is going to be checking the entire buffer contents against disk
regularly, then I would prefer a customization option that makes it easy to
revert back to the previous behavior (which has always been perfectly fine for
me).

Thanks,