Re: Getting start on Emacs 25.2

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Getting start on Emacs 25.2
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 12:28:21 -0400

>> Now that 25.1 is out the door, it's time to begin work on 25.2. I'd
>> like to ask those who are aware of patches that might have been
>> applied to 25.1, but weren't due to time pressure, to review those
>> patches and consider cherry-picking them to the emacs-25 branch,
>> which is now open to such changes.

Maybe a good start is to look at those commits on master whose commit
message refers to a bug#.

> My gut feeling is that everything on master is relevant to Emacs 25.2,
> and therefore we should probably start a new branch, called Emacs-25.2
> or some such, forking it off master.

Master includes a fairly large number of changes already, so it's
clearly not fit for a quick bug-fix-only release.

IOW what you're suggesting is to forgo bug-fix releases and go straight
to the next "feature" release (maybe with fairly few features).

I'm fine with it, but I'd call it Emacs-26, then ;-)

> Alternatively, we could decide that 25.2 will be a bugfix only
> release, in which case none of the changes on master should be in it,
> only bugs that will be reported hence about the released version.

I'd vote for that option (but accepting some cherrypicks from master
from those people who care enough to take the time to do that).
[ Of course, nobody should be surprised at this point: back in the
  time of 24.5 I made it clear that I think the ".MM" part should be
  used exclusively for bugfix-only releases, so Emacs-24.3 should have
  been called Emacs-25.1.  ]

        Stefan