Re: Emacs Mac port

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 19:06:29 +0200

> I'm asking why it is wrong to do that in newer versions, as long as
> frame-resize-pixelwise is nil.

Because we want to give users a nice experience, by default.

> Especially since we behave like that
> on other systems.

The "other systems" have window managers that do support size hints.
Windows doesn't.  We can not tell Windows where to draw the desired
shape of the frame.

Basically, our Windows code does not behave differently from X code at
all: Emacs simply respects the requested size.  If it didn't on Windows
- that is, if we applied some character size based rounding - we would
immediately get Aero Snap requests wrong which may ask, for example, to
have a window occupy the left or right half of the screen.  We cannot
distinguish whether any such request is the result of dragging a frame
edge with the mouse or that of an Aero routine.

>>   > (Is it even documented?)
>>
>> Look up `frame-resize-pixelwise' in the Elisp manual.
>
> But frame resizing by dragging by a mouse is a user-visible feature,
> not only for Lisp programmers.

Why bother users with something that works out of the box and without a
single complaint over the past years?  The one and only problem users
had so far is that of window managers trying to maximize frames
characterwise and failing miserably.  That problem is addressed in the
user manual.

martin