Question about pinentry.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Question about pinentry.el
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 20:01:48 +0200

Hi all,

I oftentimes encrypt/decrypt files with Emacs, and since a few weeks I
use pinentry.el for the task so that I'm queried for my passwords using
an Emacs prompt.

  In .emacs: (pinentry-start)
  In gpg-agent.conf: pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry-emacs

That works great; formerly I had big issues when being connected to an
emacs instance via ssh which tried to use the curses pinentry dialog in
Emacs which didn't really work satisfactory.

So far, so good.  The only issue with pinentry.el I've recognized just
today is that now (almost?) ever pinentry will be performed by Emacs.
That is, when I do "gpg2 --edit-key ..." in a terminal, passwords will
be queried in Emacs which might run on a different workspace (or just as
a daemon) so that I don't see the password dialog.

Is there a setup that uses pinentry-emacs for encryption/decryption
initiated in Emacs but another pinentry program otherwise?

Bye,
Tassilo