Re: Emacs 25 from GIT build issue under Ubuntu 16.10

From: Cesar Quiroz
Subject: Re: Emacs 25 from GIT build issue under Ubuntu 16.10
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 23:32:22 -0700

16.10 has modified gcc to compile with -pie by default.  That just must get in the way of unexec.

Search "gcc" in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseNotes

I have tried this successfully (both emacs-25 and master):

1. in the git workdir:

$ ./autogen.sh

2. in the build directory:

$ ...../configure CFLAGS=-no-pie <other configure options>

and the binaries built fine.

On topic, it would be nice if there was a string in the binary that told one how the $(config.status --config), so one could (more) easily rebuild a binary.  Something like a function (emacs-configure-options).

This has worked with ASLR on (echo 2 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space)
and with ASLR off (echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space).

I hope this helps all to work with the new Ubuntu.

--César