Re: Concurrency, again

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Concurrency, again
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2016 02:08:14 -0400

On Oct 19, 2016, at 07:57, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> That should be easy: since a subprocess is locked to a single thread,
>>
>> by default, but if that thread exits, that lock disappears
>
> And the process gets locked to some other thread.

Not that I can see, unless you explicitly call set-process-thread;
update_processes_for_thread_death sets the process thread field to Qnil.

>>> SIGCHLD should be delivered to that thread.  If we don't have that
>>> already, we should add that, it doesn't sound hard, given the
>>> infrastructure we already have (deliver_thread_signal etc.).
>>
>> It’s not completely trivial.  […]
>
> So you are saying this problem was never encountered before in any
> other program out there, and doesn't already have a solution?  I find
> that hard to believe.

Not at all, just that it may take some work.  Though, I would expect that most
such programs we might go look at are committed to a multi-threaded design, and
aren’t written to support both multi-threaded and single-threaded environments.

>> On the other hand, perhaps we can create one special thread to do all the
>> waitpid() calls and pass info to the Lisp-running threads.
>
> Sounds like an unnecessary complication, but if that's how others solve
> this problem, so shall we.

I don’t know.  Aside from checking a few man pages while writing the previous
email, I haven’t researched it.  I think it’s probably the way I’d be most
inclined to do such a thing, if the ability to use such helper threads could be
assumed; it can’t be in this case.

I just took a quick look at some bits of a Thunderbird source tree.  In the
Netscape Portable Runtime
(thunderbird-49.0b1/mozilla/nsprpub/pr/src/md/unix/uxproces.c) they’ve got a
“waitpid daemon thread”; whichever thread gets SIGCHLD delivered to it writes a
byte to a pipe to wake up that daemon thread, which then calls waitpid until
there are no more child process status updates to process.  It updates global
(mutex-protected) data structures and optionally uses a condition variable to
notify some other thread of the process change.

>>> Or add some simple code in the stack overflow handler to check if we
>>> are in the main thread, and if not, punt (i.e. crash).

>>> Redisplay runs in the main thread anyway, right?  If so, there's no
>>> problem.
>>
>> If some random thread calls (redisplay) or (sit-for …)?  I think it’ll run
>> in whichever Lisp-running thread triggers it.  But, it’ll be the one holding
>> the lock.
>
> No, sit-for causes a thread switch.

I believe that’s when it’s checking for input, after calling redisplay, though.

I just tried a test with a breakpoint in redisplay_internal; it can get called
from threads other than the main thread.  As far as I know, we can’t have
multiple threads in the redisplay code at the same time, though.

>>> What part(s) of keyboard.c, exactly?
>>
>> Anything looking at getcjmp; that means read_event_from_main_queue and
>> read_char.  Like I said, I haven’t looked very closely; if the static
>> storage isn’t ever used across a point where the global lock could be
>> released to allow a thread switch, it may be fine.
>
> That should already be solved, or else threads cannot receive keyboard
> input safely.

I hope so.  I haven’t convinced myself one way or the other yet, though.

Ken