Re: Can we go GTK-only?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Can we go GTK-only?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 13:32:14 -0700

On 10/27/2016 12:54 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
As a stepping stone, we should at least remove support for the no-toolkit, Motif, and Athena configurations. (Lucid I can understand.)

How much would this stepping stone save us? Few people need or use those three configurations, so if deleting them simplifies Emacs maintenance considerably, it might be a win.

Alternatively, how about if we change the GTK port to be more like the NS port? That is, we leave xterm.o, xfns.c, xselect.c etc. alone (except for removing the GTK-related parts), and have new source files gtkterm.c, gtkfns.c, gtkselect.c etc. as needed to support GTK. The GTK port would no longer define HAVE_X_WINDOWS. That way, the no-toolkit, Motif, and Athena configurations would still work, without getting in the way of GTK.