Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used? (WAS: bug#24358)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 22:40:01 -0400

  > Something along the lines of your idea for storage creation should work,
  > though we'll have to be careful about destructive operations like setcar
  > that can cause an object with an earlier sequence number to point to an
  > object with a later sequence number.

Why so?

The purpose of sequence numbers is simply so you can refer to the
objects already made -- not for proving some theorems of
well-foundedness.  Cycles should not be a problem.

  >  It's not clear whether it has
  > significant advantages over the C-based approach.

Here are two:

* You don't need a C compiler to dump Emacs.

* You don't need to relink to dump Emacs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman