Re: When should ralloc.c be used?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: When should ralloc.c be used?
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 09:03:00 -0400

> I wouldn't have thought that PROT_NONE vs PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE would
> have changed anything here, but on *some* OSes it does, however it is
> not portable.  At least OpenBSD doesn't behave like what you describe.

Are you sure?  Can you point to concrete evidence?

Not that's it's important (using a hard-coded number like 2GB wouldn't
work, so we'd more likely use something like w32heap.c's "pre-allocate
double the size", which doesn't suffer from that problem anyway and
still guarantees efficient behavior when growing a buffer progressively
from 1B to 100GB).

        Stefan