Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Skipping unexec via a big .elc file
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 01:37:49 -0400

On Nov 2, 2016, at 08:22, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> BTW, it might be worth comparing the behavior with the one we get with
> the "normal" temacs (i.e. by loading loadup.el instead of dumped.elc),
> as well as with what we get with CANNOT_DUMP: from what I remember the
> current code doesn't handle CANNOT_DUMP 100% correctly (which is OK so
> far because CANNOT_DUMP is only ever used temporarily during porting
> until unexec is working).

…which is why it seems like I have to keep fixing bugs every time I try to use
it.

If CANNOT_DUMP mode worked reliably, I’d think it would be the logical starting
point for this work — it’s already compiling with the expectation that we’ll be
unexec and a second invocation of main().  Changing the thing we load at
startup from loadup.el to dumped.elc should be pretty minor.

I’m trying CANNOT_DUMP out right now.  As soon as I’ve got it bootstrapping
again, I’ll try pulling in the other changes.

> IOW some of the problems we may encounter could be unrelated to what we
> do w.r.t dumped.elc.

True.