Re: emacs-25 f708cb2: Clarify doc string of 'transpose-sexps'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-25 f708cb2: Clarify doc string of 'transpose-sexps'
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2016 20:33:38 +0200

> Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 11:00:39 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Here's a thought: Are any of the behaviors resulting from
> trying that useful?

No, none of them is.  The only useful behavior is when point is
between the two sexps you want to transpose.

> It is really not great to tell someone they "cannot" or
> "must not" etc. do something without raising an error that
> really enforces "cannot" etc.

If someone comes up with a way to lift that restriction, we could
remove this text from the doc string.  but as long as the command
works as it does, I think we should document that, or else we will
have bug reports about its not meeting expectations.