Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 12:11:23 -0800

On 11/28/2016 11:58 AM, Burton Samograd wrote:
Excellent idea and good work.  Will this also allow for the dumping of Emacs at
arbitrary time after it’s been run, or will there still be issues with that?

In theory. In practice, I want to roll out this work gradually. Step one is to land it and keep it off by default --- we don't have to stop using unexec just because we want to experiment with a portable dumper.

Later, we'll enable the portable dumper by default, but as an unexec replacement, and keep unexec around. Once this arrangement works for a few releases, we can delete unexec and talk about dumping at later points in Emacs execution history.