Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 10:59:04 +0200

> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 00:08:55 -0800
>
> EZ> Once again, if those ideas seem strange, let alone incorrect, to you-all
> EZ> out there, just say the word, and I will step down. Then I can stop
> EZ> worrying about the portable dumper, and you can stop worrying about my
> EZ> strange ideas. Emacs is not my private project; I'm only entitled to
> EZ> promote my ideas if the others either support them or trust me to DTRT.
> EZ> Please decide which one is it, and let's move on.
>
> Please do not step down, Eli. Please don't. It sickens my heart every time I
> hear you suggest it, so just stop doing that for my sake. :)

I hear you.  But with all due respect, you cannot have it both ways:
beg me to stay in charge, and then push me to give up one of the few
firm ideas I have about where Emacs should go and how.  It isn't fair.
I arrived at those ideas by carefully watching Emacs development for
many years.  What kind of maintainer will I be if I cannot base my
judgment and decisions on a few principal ideas I have about Emacs
development?  What could replace those ideas to be the base for
decisions I need to make almost every day?