Re: block_input for some APIs

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: block_input for some APIs
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 13:08:45 -0800

On 12/12/2016 10:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Does anyone remember why we block input around calls to functions like
getpwnam or tzset or fwrite?

I think this dates back to when C-g and/or other handlers called longjmp. Since getpwname etc. are not async-signal-safe we needed to block input around them, so that C-g's effects were deferred until these functions returned. If I'm right, we don't need to block input around them any more, since our signal handlers are safer now.

Similarly for MALLOC_BLOCK_INPUT; we should be able to get rid of its machinery now.