scrolling in shell buffer

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: scrolling in shell buffer
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 08:22:21 -0500

I have (setq scroll-conservatively 6).
I'm running a job in a shell buffer that produces a line of output
a couple of times a minute, with point at the end.

As the output appears, the buffer scrolls so that the cursor is always
at the bottom.  That is good.

If I switch to another buffer, then switch back after a minute or two,
it scrolls up for the new output but the cursor stays at the bottom.
That is good.

But when I switch to another buffer, wait several minutes, then switch
back, so that many additional lines of output have been generated, it
puts point in the middle of the window.

That's good for ordinary buffers, but it isn't good for a shell
buffer.  For a shell buffer, as long as point is at the end, display
should normally scroll point to the bottom of the window.

--
Dr Richard Stallman