Re: scrolling in shell buffer

From: Johan Bockgård
Subject: Re: scrolling in shell buffer
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 22:11:00 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>> CC: address@hidden
>> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 08:07:16 -0500
>>
>> Customizing is not pertinent, since this issue I'm raising
>> is about the proper default.
>>
>> I think that we should make the default behavior for shell buffers,
>> when point is at the end, to scroll to keep point at the bottom of the
>> window.
>>
>> Does anyone disagree that this behavior would be right?
>
> By default?  I don't think I agree.  It's just another Emacs buffer.
> Also, various terminal emulators on GUI systems let me scroll the
> console window past its end, and don't scroll it back each time the
> shell or some command run from the shell outputs something.

? It is already the default, and it's called
`comint-scroll-show-maximum-output'.

However, we also find this comment in `comint-mode':

    ;; Following disabled because it seems to break the case when
    ;; comint-scroll-show-maximum-output is nil, and no-one can remember
    ;; what the original problem was.  If there are problems with point
    ;; not going to the end, consider re-enabling this.
    ;; http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-08/msg00827.html
    ;;
    ;; This makes it really work to keep point at the bottom.
    ;; (make-local-variable 'scroll-conservatively)
    ;; (setq scroll-conservatively 10000)

The last two lines were added by rms in 2002, and commented out by Glenn
in 2007.