Re: The current state of the comment-cache branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The current state of the comment-cache branch
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 10:55:11 +0200

> Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 08:30:55 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> > >                    First forward run     Backwards     Second forward run
>
> > > master:                 34.100s            36.050s           34.575s
>
> > > comment-cache:          30.110s            32.275s         34.990s
> > > [...]
> > > I would like the comment-cache code to be merged into master soon.
>
> > Given that the speed-up is around 11% - 13%, and only for the first
> > scan, what are the other advantages/benefits of this code that would
> > cause us to merge it?
>
> The prime advantage is that we would support open parens in column 0
> inside comments.  Not through some awkward workaround, but through a
> change in algorithm, by which these open parens simply aren't even an
> issue any more.
>
> The timings I gave were intented to refute in advance any suggestion
> that the new code might slow Emacs down, the way setting
> open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start to nil does.

Can you show similar timings with that variable set to nil?  And in
particular in the use case reported by Paul back when bug#22884 was
filed?

(I'm actually unsure I understand how binding that variable to nil
will slow down Emacs, as in the bug in question such a binding was
proposed as a _solution_ to slow-down.  What am I missing?)