Re: default-toplevel-value and set-default-toplevel-value

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: default-toplevel-value and set-default-toplevel-value
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 17:40:46 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 23:09:37 -0500
>
> > I seem to see there's more to this than meets the eye, see
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-12/msg00924.html.
> > Could you please help me understand it?  I'd like to document this for
> > Emacs 25.2.
>
> I don't understand: there's no use of default-toplevel-value in your
> example, AFAICT.

Yes, because there doesn't seem to be any need for using it, as
default-value is unaffected by the let-binding.  I expected
default-value to return the value from let-binding, and
default-toplevel-value to return the global value, otherwise I don't
see why the latter is needed.  I guess I misunderstood something that
you and/or the doc string were trying to tell.

Thanks.