Re: Reformat all of src/

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Reformat all of src/
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 18:15:48 +0200

> From: Tino Calancha <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 21:04:13 +0900 (JST)
> cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > We arrived at the current convention of not doing such changes unless
> > real code changes are also committed based on our practice, so I don't
> > think we should reverse that decision.
> Is just a voluntary convention?  Is is prefered or discouraged?

I think you will generally get responses such as you've seen for any
patch suggestion that only changes whitespace.

> If the former, then we might encourage it adding some instructions
> in CONTRIBUTE about when/how do this thing.

It probably should be in CONTRIBUTE, yes.  I think the reason it isn't
is that this issue doesn't pop up too frequently.

> When i am changing a function which uses tabs for indentation, i
> think that is a good opportunity to change such func. to use white
> spaces instead.

That is a separate issue: whether C sources should use the default
TABs and SPACEs indentation or just SPACEs.  I think we agreed to
disagree about that, and that's why .dir-locals.el doesn't say
anything about the C mode, so that everyone could use the settings
they have in their .emacs.