Re: Patches for Emacs 25.2

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Re: Patches for Emacs 25.2
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 07:20:28 +0300

Sorry, I don't follow on what you have in mind for removing that check.

When we commit to git on a server we now create a file with path like "/pscp:server:/tmp/tramp.29256XNq" which we store in msg-file local variable. After we created that file we need to:

a) Create a git command like "git commit -F /tmp/tramp.29256XNq". Here we need the remote part of path only.

b) Write to that file. Here we need the absolute path. We also extract some args during writing.

With this in mind I don't see how we can get rid of (file-remote-p msg-file 'localname) other than storing it in a local variable, which is a questionable improvement.

Note: we cannot use file-local-name here, since it was only introduced on master.

I guess I'm kind of late(again) with the new pretest out, but I really think this bug is pretty major and worth the effort, though YMMV.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev