Re: CEDET Merge

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: CEDET Merge
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 13:52:55 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> > Indeed, that is our rule.
>>
>> That was the rule when ChangeLogs were hand-written, but since the
>> switch to generated ChangeLogs it does not (and cannot) apply.
>> Git does not record that date.
>
> Git obviously does record the commit date, so there's no problem with
> that rule.

The commit date has no relation to "the date when the change enters the
Emacs repository" (ie, was pushed to Savannah).

If you want a recent example of this, "make ChangeLog" and look at the
dates of "recent" concurrency entries. Some are years old.

Eg git log --fuller 0ccc5d8998a
Both git dates are 2012-08-15, but the correct date would be 2016-12-10:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2016-12/msg00144.html