Re: 64-bit build on Windows

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: 64-bit build on Windows
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 23:43:50 +0100

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> but please wait for a few days to give MinGW64 users a
>> chance to comment on this.
>
> One question for them, then. Could it be that I have mingw(32|64).exe
> instead of mingw(32|64)_shell.bat because I followed the advice at
> http://msys2.github.io/ and did a post-installation update with
>
>   pacman -Sy pacman
>   pacman -Syu
>   pacman -Su
>
> ?

Most likely. The method for starting the shell with the specific
settings for each mode (msys2/mingw64/mingw32) changed some months ago.

> If so, it's this something we should recommend in nt/INSTALL.W64?

Nowadays a simple `pacman -Suy' should do the right thing. And IMO using
the updated binary packages is a good thing. (Although the Emacs
problems with ImageMagick started when MSYS2 upgraded to version 7 soon
after it was released. Those are the risks of being `cutting edge'. Arch
and Debian Unstable still are at version 6.9).