Re: Change in files.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Change in files.el
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:22:48 -0500

>> I don't see what the form of the return value changes to the problem.
> The default behavior is just the value t or nil, so reproducing the

Sorry, I thought you were saying that the predicate's return value can
only be nil or t, not that the predicate always returns the same value.

Yes, in that case the default behavior is trivial, so it's easy to
reproduce it by hand.  Tho, of course, if that default behavior ever
changes, then your manual reproduction of it will go stale.

I was arguing the general case rather than only the specific case of
save-some-buffers-default-predicate.

>> I see what you mean.  Yes, the default behavior ends up moved into its
>> own function.  I'm surprised you feel so strongly about it, tho, because
>> it never caused me such trouble.
>> When debugging a specific execution, I'm usually doing it with Edebug,
> The need to use a debugger instead of just reading the code is already
> a huge annoyance,

I never felt like the need to run Edebug was caused by such additional
indirections, so while I agree that it's great when I can debug the code
just by reading it, I wouldn't attribute the annoyance of running Edebug
to the kind of guideline I'm advocating.

Anyway, I definitely see what you mean.  I just disagree on the
seriousness of the problem, and on the impact of the guideline on it.

        Stefan