Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 1392ec7 2/3: A quicker check for quit

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 1392ec7 2/3: A quicker check for quit
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 12:47:57 -0500

>>>>> "Eli" == Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
[...]

Thanks.  This nicely matches what I remember, but I wasn't sure (I'm
obviously quite familiar with this story, since I was the one who
introduced the SYNC_INPUT changes, yet I never quite understood the
details of the immediate_quit thingy).

> This is why we started inserting QUIT in places that could potentially
> hang or take a long time -- to allow the user to interrupt them sooner
> rather than later.  And that is why the recent changes which removed
> QUIT and added setting immediate_quit non-zero are a move in the wrong
> direction -- we should be doing the exact opposite.

So, IIUC we should basically get rid of immediate_quit.
Since I never really understood it, I'd be happy to see it disappear ;-)
[ But, it's obviously not urgent.  ]

        Stefan